Monday, April 9, 2012

[not your typical] Pan-poached eggs florentine

I was home in Virginia for Easter weekend until arriving back in New York late last night.

My family's Easter dinner is my favorite holiday meal, second only to Thanksgiving. We have lamb, and pickled eggs, and deviled eggs, and asparagus, and, this year, puréed cauliflower and a delicious new broccoli salad recipe. 

But the Friday before Easter--the morning after I arrived home--my mom made a super tasty--and colorful!--breakfast to start the weekend off right. I can't wait to make this for a brunch party again, or even just any ol' morning when I'm craving a good, poached egg. If you've never made a poached egg and are afraid to try (and even if you're an expert poacher already), this steam-poached recipe is the way to go!

Pan-poached eggs with wilted spinach and tomatoes
adapted from The Blood Sugar Solution

Ingredients:
4 organic, free-range eggs
6 cups baby spinach
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
½ cup water
4 sprigs of fresh thyme
splash of extra virgin olive oil
pinch of sea salt & cracked black pepper

Instructions:
1. Fill a large pan with 1/2 cup water and heat over medium-high heat.
2. Pile spinach over the entire surface of the pan, creating a thick, green bed. Try to make four little indentions in the spinach for the eggs.
3. Carefully crack the eggs on top of equal amounts of spinach. Spread the halved tomatoes over the spinach, but not directly on top of the eggs so as not to break the yolks. 
5. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with fresh thyme sprigs. Cover and let cook for about 3-4 minutes until the water is evaporated and the spinach is nicely wilted. The eggs will steam-poach under the cover--the yolks should still be runny when broken. 
6. Drizzle with olive oil. Scoop each egg and its surrounding spinach and tomatoes onto a plate, and serve!

Information:
Serves: 4
Prep time: 2 minutes
Total time: 5-6 minutes

I love poached eggs, and although I've been practicing, they are rarely quite as nice or pretty as a great restaurant's eggs benedict (I love the eggs florentine and eggs norwegian of Nolita House in Manhattan's Lower East Side). 

These eggs do not have Hollandaise sauce on top, and I love Hollandaise sauce on my eggs benedict as much as any brunch-going person. But the simplicity of spinach, tomato, fresh herbs, and a splash of olive oil really packs a lot of flavor and can hold its own! Promise. Plus, this recipe is super simple and extra quick. 


I sliced a fresh, thick piece of French bread to enjoy with this breakfast--and it helped me scoop up the runny yolk so I didn't have to leave a drop behind :).

1 comment: